Monday, July 4, 2011

A Lesson in Glorifying God in All Things

   This week I got an unexpected lesson in glorifying God in everything we do.  Wednesday was a long day. Elliot was sick all day which left me exhausted and, naturally, I wasn't able to work in a nap.  For some reason I was feeling pretty lonely and sad. I'm sure that fatigue was a big factor. I would've gone to church, but with Elliot being so sick I did not think that would be kind; not all things are meant for sharing.  So I put the boys in bed and began to read a little, but I just couldn't shake my loneliness. 
     So, being the night owl that I am, I finally decided to give my treadmill a little attention at 11:00.  Word on the street is that she was feeling lonely, too.  ;)  With the room lit by lamplight and my iPod in my ear I was ready to go.  It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes God just comes out of the blue it seems.  Studying His Word and praying are great ways to be with Him and I find great pleasure in doing both, but sometimes He seems to give me an extra dose of affection for Him at the most random times- at times when I'm not even looking for Him.  My love for Him is expressed in my daily walk and communion with Him.  His love for me, which was ultimately expressed on the cross, is often echoed in my heart when I least expect it.  So here I was, jogging away, pumping songs into my mind with words that exalt Christ.  The next thing I knew, I was crying and running (that was a first) and I just did not feel so alone anymore.  He IS my comforter.  He really is all I need, and I believe He delights in showing me that.  Not every part of our walk with our Savior is "emotional". Not every encounter with Him is "sparkly", mostly due to our sin I'm sure.  But sometimes it is.  Sometimes it is very emotional.  Sometimes it is very sparkly and overwhelming and spectacular.  We do not always "feel" pursued by Him.  But sometimes we do.
     It also reminds me that music is a powerful force that can drive us to Him or away from Him.  The first song I played was Psalm 62, which is actually really slow.  It seems absurd to run to, but it wasn't.  I found that the truth in the words gave me an excitement and energy.  The songs began stirring my affections for Him.  The one that really pumped me up, though, was "The Beauty of the Cross" by Jonny Diaz.  It is such a beautiful song!  Though we cannot base our relationship with Christ in terms of our salvation on feelings, much of the time the feelings are there and they are strong.
     For the first time, running became an act of worship for me.  My heart was humbled and seeking Him.  It was bursting with affections for Him.  It is such a reminder that nothing is a neutral action.  You can run either to the glory of God or you can run with a sinful heart.  What a powerful encouragement it was for me to do all things to the glory of the One who made me.  How amazing that He can take such a mundane thing and turn it for His glory and cause my heart to worship Him!  Besides the cross, I do not need another example of His love for me, but when He gives me one I'm thankful. 

     P.S.  It was pretty much the best run I've ever had. 

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." -Colossians 3:17

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." -1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment